Dance group Scott Morrison slams ABC after edited video creates controversy

0


The ABC apologized after being criticized for the dancers in a way the prime minister called “disrespectful”. But the broadcaster hit back saying it was “scary.”

The ABC has apologized after mounting footage of a dance troupe to make it appear as if it was performing in front of some of Australia’s top dignitaries.

In a statement to news.com. earlier today, members of the Sydney dance troupe, 101 Doll Squadron, said they were personally attacked and feared for their lives after the video became viral.

A particular montage of the ABC’s cover married footage from the performance alongside videos of Governor General David Hurley, ADF Chief Angus Campbell and Naval Chief Michael Noonan seated in the audience, giving the ‘impression that the top officials were there to dance.

“We are very disappointed with ABC’s deceptive edit of their video piece which cut to guests and dignitaries who were not present and filmed from angles that could not be seen by the audience,” said the group in a press release.

“We found this very scary and give more thought to the ABC camera operator and their need to sexualize these women and their dance piece for their own gratification.

“These are the images that appear in the media and the CBA has a lot to say to make us feel threatened and exploited.”

RELATED: Jacqui Lambie denounces the decision to twerk dancers at HMAS Supply

The Prime Minister weighed in on the video at a press conference in Perth this afternoon, calling the ABC’s montage “bogus, bogus and misleading”.

“I am disappointed that this event was so poorly reported. I think it was disrespectful to the artists to suggest that the Governor General or other people were present in this way, ”said Mr. Morrison.

“I think the standards have failed so I think Defense will look at these issues and make the changes they want in the future. I’ll leave that to them. It is disappointing that Australians have been so misled on this issue. “

Mr Morrison said the CBA should “reflect” on its reports.

ABC Media Watch took to Twitter this afternoon to explain that the video had been updated and that the Governor General and Chief of the Navy had arrived “minutes” after the dance had ended.

“Our reporting team initially believed they were present both because they were shown in footage from the event and because a government deputy said they were present,” said the ABC.

“The video should not have been edited this way and the CBA apologizes to the Governor General and Chief of the Navy, as well as viewers, for the mistake.

“After the Defense Department confirmed that the Governor General and the Chief of the Navy arrived at the event after the performance, the report was amended.

“The report that aired on the 7 p.m. newscast Wednesday night did not include the footage. The online story has also been updated to make this clear.

However, the national broadcaster hit back at claims that the cameraman shot the women in a “frightening” manner.

“The ABC images of the dance performance were shot in a standard fashion, from the same position as the other parts of the ceremony,” a spokesperson said.

The dance troupe “saddened and disappointed” by the situation

The 101 Doll Squadron, a Sydney dance team specializing in dancehall and hip hop, were forced to remove their social media pages after images of their performance at the event went viral.

In their statement, the 101 Doll Squadron said they were reserved as a diverse group of dancers and proud to participate.

“With Indigenous and multiracial members of a community dance group, the dance itself consisted of choreographic and musical elements that included references to blessings, ocean waves, and our geographic location where the water sweet meets the sea, to name a few, ”said the dancers.

“It was meant to bring an informal sense of celebration; a gift from one of our community groups to open a modern ship, with a modern dance form.

The group said the ABC cut was a “short piece taken out of context in what was a very long day done before the official ceremony and before the dignitaries arrived and was not part of it.”

“It was in no way meant to be disrespectful and we are hurt and disappointed that it was misinterpreted to appear that way,” the group said.

“We perform regularly at festivals, cultural and community events including the Woolloomoolivin ‘festival and NAIDOC locally. We are very popular with all age audiences and have never been the target of abuse or complaints.

“This performance was only a small part of a longer term partnership with the Navy and our community for course opportunities and ongoing programs including a recent community barbecue and basketball tournament between. the procurement team and local youth. ”

The group said the ship’s captain and crew had also been in contact, saying the troop had been “unfairly targeted”.

The group said it felt very “saddened and disappointed” by the situation and requested confidentiality.

“We have been scared of all this media harassment and continued abuse,” the troop concluded as they signed the letter, “Sincerely The 101 Doll Squadron.”

The group, which describes itself as a “squadron of dancehall women facilitating a movement to unite and collaborate on unique projects in (sic) dancehall”, were booked to play a number of songs when ordered from HMAS Supply on Saturday.

The commissioning of the new ship, which took place at Garden Island in Sydney, was filmed by ABC, in the presence of celebrities including Australian Defense Force Chief Angus Campbell and Governor General David Hurley.

Despite the dignitaries in attendance, the ADF insisted that Mr. Hurley or Mr. Campbell were not in the audience when the dance troupe performed.

“The dance was performed before the start of commissioning formalities and before the arrival of His Excellency the Governor General, Chief of the Navy and Commander of the Australian Fleet,” a defense spokesperson told news .com.au.

The ADF has been on defense since the footage went viral on social media, insisting it has booked the group to support local businesses and to reflect the Woolloomooloo community, the inner city suburb where is based the Navy’s Fleet Base East.

“Prior to commissioning, …. HMAS Supply engaged with the local community of Woolloomooloo – one of its home ports – to build positive relationships,” said a defense spokesperson. .

“HMAS Supply and the Royal Australian Navy are committed to working with Australians from all walks of life to actively support local charities and community groups. “

Before the group took down their social media, their page was full of dancers performing at community events, multicultural festivals and supporting women of color.

“The core business of the ADF will always be the application of deadly violence”

Despite some criticism unfairly targeting the dance group, most Australians are asking the ADF for an explanation.

Deputy Defense Minister Andrew Hastie, who served in the elite Special Air Services Regiment for five years, said it was time for the military to return to its “core business” – “enforcement of murderous violence “.

“Our military plays a vital role in Australian society, whether it be in the event of a pandemic, flood or fire,” Mr Hastie wrote in his latest voter newsletter, sent to his constituents. at Canning’s headquarters in Western Australia.

“But the core business of the ADF will always be the application of murderous violence in defense of our values, our sovereignty and our interests. We should never forget that.

Mr Hastie said it was important for the ADF to maintain “mission clarity”.

“Without it the confusion grows – confusion over role, identity and purpose. And the confusion is deadly on the battlefield, at sea or in air combat, ”he said.

“Mission focus is the foundation of victory. This allows everyone to pursue a singular goal.

Former Home Secretary Peter Dutton took over the defense portfolio after former Linda Reynolds employee Brittany Higgins went public with rape allegations.

Liberal backbench Phillip Thompson, another former soldier, told the ABC that Mr Dutton will bring back the “core values” of the ADF.

“With Minister Dutton at the helm and at the helm of our Australian Defense Force, we are bringing back our core values ​​- we have woken up a bit in the last few years and we cannot afford to do this,” a- he declared. .

“Our ADF should not be on the left or on the right, they should be at the center of their work, and their job is to defend our nation, our interests, our values, our sovereignty, but also when we go on operations, to have a aggression and shameless violence to accomplish the mission.

Mr Thompson himself has been in hot water in the past by posting on social media that he wanted to shoot at Muslim extremists in 2012.

Read related topics:Scott Morrison


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.